[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Jan 7 09:12:28 MST 2005

> > So the purpose should be clearly deliniated, and then an eval of how it is not
> > being accomplished, or is being threatend can be done.
> >
> > The concern I have is that people are aware of and even if they disagree or
> > are too lazy, they KNOW the rules of the list.
>
> Perhaps you are on to something.  Maybe an actual moderation process
> isn't required, just a link which clearly lists the rules and
> "regulations" of the list.  The link could be placed in the footer.
>
> > So I think that ensuring their awareness of the list rules is the thing to
> > pursue. I think ensuring the rules are in plain view to be read before
> > subscribing and sending a message after subscribing of the rules is enough.

Why moderate when one can automate?

What if....
- each new list member is emailed a somewhat abbreviated list of do's
  and don'ts and references (to how-to, faq, wiki, etc) as the initial
  result of successfully subscribing.
- automate the list server to send an email back to the poster if
  html is detected
- and maybe some sort of automated reply to the first x postings from
  new subscribers again reminding them of available references, resources
  and examples.
- a monthly reminder (like many many other lists) to all list members
  as to how to unsubscribe, new references, etc.

Just a thought....