[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 08:23:56 MST 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 09:44:17 -0500, steve szmidt <steve at szmidt.org> wrote:
> So the purpose should be clearly deliniated, and then an eval of how it is not
> being accomplished, or is being threatend can be done.
>
> The concern I have is that people are aware of and even if they disagree or
> are too lazy, they KNOW the rules of the list.

Perhaps you are on to something.  Maybe an actual moderation process
isn't required, just a link which clearly lists the rules and
"regulations" of the list.  The link could be placed in the footer.

> So I think that ensuring their awareness of the list rules is the thing to
> pursue. I think ensuring the rules are in plain view to be read before
> subscribing and sending a message after subscribing of the rules is enough.

At least it is hoped.  The problem I do see is that no one ever reads
these rules when subscribing to lists and such.  It'd be nice if
offending posts never even made it to the list.

> My observation is that the list is amazingly good, for it's size. All I think
> that needs to be done is to have the List Administrator, or similar title,
> send a message to those instances where someone is clearly noticed to create
> a problem for others. Like sending html.

I could see this.  The problem is that one list administrator can't
read all the posts and reply regarding HTML (for example), but
multiple moderators could potentially send multiple emails.  Perhaps
an HTML filter for the messages would be good.  Something to strip the
HTML out of the emails would probably be ideal.  Simply bouncing the
message back to the user could also be done, then they would learn to
not post in plain text?

> Sometimes when I run into people who mis-post or similarly I send a simple and
> friendly note about the situation, to the "violater". An educational note.
>
> It's done as a help flow, not telling them they are dumb or anything the like.
> Exactly the sort of thing I'd like to get if I did the same blunder.
>
> This seems to be effective as I often get a thank you note back.

I think the key here is to try and be respectful of other people.  Not
everyone has used a mailing list before, but that certainly shouldn't
be an excuse.  However, right now I don't know of a definitive rule
set that people can look up to see what is acceptable and what is not.
 Perhaps there is a general one for all mailing lists available on the
Internet.  I'm sure a Google search would turn up something to base of
off.  I might look into this further later on today or tomorrow.

> So that then seem to be a simple and workable solution. For those who cares,
> to send out an educational note about the "violation" to "violaters". Again,
> something friendly which we each would be happy to receive.
>
> Of course it's a personal reply.

The only problem, as stated earlier, would probably be multiple posts
from people.  I think some sort of automation would work well here.  I
propose two filters which would probably reduce the amount of junk,
plus a rule set to allow others to know what is acceptable policy.

- filter HTML messages.  Either bounce them, or strip the HTML and
allow the post through
- reject any messages with the words "Out of Office" in the subject header.

That in combination with the "rules" link in the footer and sent upon
registration to the list would probably clean it up quite nicely.

Thanks,
Leif Madsen.
http://www.leifmadsen.com