[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: Moderating the Asterisk Mailing Lists

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Fri Jan 7 07:44:17 MST 2005

On Thursday 06 January 2005 05:42 pm, Leif Madsen wrote:

> There has been discussion on and off regarding moderating the Asterisk
> mailing lists as the number of junk posts continues to climb at a
> steady rate.  While it is impossible to have a perfect ratio between
> good and bad emails, I believe a moderated list can significantly
> improve it.

I care neither about free speech nor any other rights on a personal list. It
can have any rules it wants. BUT, what I do care about is if the purpose of a
list is being accomplished or not.

So the purpose should be clearly deliniated, and then an eval of how it is not
being accomplished, or is being threatend can be done.

The concern I have is that people are aware of and even if they disagree or
are too lazy, they KNOW the rules of the list.

So I think that ensuring their awareness of the list rules is the thing to
pursue. I think ensuring the rules are in plain view to be read before
subscribing and sending a message after subscribing of the rules is enough.

My observation is that the list is amazingly good, for it's size. All I think
that needs to be done is to have the List Administrator, or similar title,
send a message to those instances where someone is clearly noticed to create
a problem for others. Like sending html.

Sometimes when I run into people who mis-post or similarly I send a simple and
friendly note about the situation, to the "violater". An educational note.

It's done as a help flow, not telling them they are dumb or anything the like.
Exactly the sort of thing I'd like to get if I did the same blunder.

This seems to be effective as I often get a thank you note back.

So that then seem to be a simple and workable solution. For those who cares,
to send out an educational note about the "violation" to "violaters". Again,
something friendly which we each would be happy to receive.

Of course it's a personal reply.
--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin