[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Maintenance and Development

Howard White howwhi at vcch.com
Mon Jan 3 12:24:32 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 12:27, Jim Van Meggelen wrote:

<snip>

> > The growth of Asterisk (the program) and Asterisk (the
> > community) demands that the keepers of the keys (Mark;
> > Digium) institute proper, formal and documented Product
> > (Program) Life Cycle techniques.  We all wish for Asterisk
> > (the program) to be accepted by a wider audience which may
> > only be accomplished by having a clear path of where Asterisk
> > is going (and by when).
>
> This is a laudible goal. If I am correct in assuming that you posses the
> required skills, am I also correct in accepting this as your offer to
> join the maintenace team? We could use that kind of help, no doubt about
> it.

VCCH, Inc. _is_ contributing (and reselling :))  Yes, I am looking for a
role in which to contribute.  COBOL and FORTRAN are not much in
demand...

> > Yes, I know that Asterisk is an open source project that
> > depends on the generous support of uncompensated programmers
> > in their spare time.
>
> Asterisk has now matured to the point where more than just developers
> and documenters are needed. If you have project management experience,
> then your skills are needed as well.

Mark Spencer is in direct control of what I describe and shall have to
delegate in order for anyone to contribute.

> > Please look at the wall in front of us and let us
> > collectively figure out where and how to cut a door before we
> > slam headfirst.
>
> Excellent point. Are you volunteering to lead the project management
> team that will be responsible for meeting milestones?

see above

> > How many sub dot releases are we planning in 2005?  What are
> > the key milestones to be accomplished for each sub dot?  What
> > are the milestones to be provided in two dot?  And when is two dot?
>
> Don't passively ask: actively propose something!

I am, stay tuned.

> > Asterisk (led firmly by Mark and Digium) has seen the great
> > accomplishment of one dot zero.  For releases to be taken
> > serioulsy, we must now have a Product Life Cycle - from Mark
> > and Digium.
>
> Frankly, Mark and Digium contribute enough already. What we really need
> is more people actually contributing, and less folks actually just
> talking about what is wrong.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim Van Meggelen.

Jim, these last few thoughts of yours are where we disagree.  Mark is
"the single point of failure" that is in charge of Asterisk.  What I
propose by introducing established Product Life Cycle tools is a means
by which Mark may chart the future course of Asterisk development and
then delegate the management thereof to other Digium staff or Asterisk
volunteers.  Asterisk is now larger than what Mark may by himself manage
(along with Digium) and I am trying to spark the discussion by which the
Asterisk community may positively encourage Mark to recognize the scope
of what is going on and respond accordingly.

By the same token, none of us may tell Mark how to run his business.

I also recognize the the open source community resents and rejects the
regimentaion of planning and documentation.  Such resentment shows up,
bluntly, as the shortcomings of Asterisk.  Mark has to delegate control
and the developers must accept the means of delegation.

That people who wish to document and to train newbies are needed is
obvious as well.  Our attempts at turning trolls into customers have
been quite futile, thank you ;)

Howard White
president - VCCH, Inc.