[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Maintenance and Development

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Mon Jan 3 11:27:53 MST 2005

asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> Mark, this is aimed squarely at you; please take it as a
> positive statement of growth, not criticism.

But criticism itself can be a positive thing, so we should not fear it.
Still, the best forms of criticism are those that include a proposal of
what can be done to address the problem.

> The growth of Asterisk (the program) and Asterisk (the
> community) demands that the keepers of the keys (Mark;
> Digium) institute proper, formal and documented Product
> (Program) Life Cycle techniques.  We all wish for Asterisk
> (the program) to be accepted by a wider audience which may
> only be accomplished by having a clear path of where Asterisk
> is going (and by when).

This is a laudible goal. If I am correct in assuming that you posses the
required skills, am I also correct in accepting this as your offer to
join the maintenace team? We could use that kind of help, no doubt about
it.

> Yes, I know that Asterisk is an open source project that
> depends on the generous support of uncompensated programmers
> in their spare time.

Asterisk has now matured to the point where more than just developers
and documenters are needed. If you have project management experience,
then your skills are needed as well.

> Please look at the wall in front of us and let us
> collectively figure out where and how to cut a door before we
> slam headfirst.

Excellent point. Are you volunteering to lead the project management
team that will be responsible for meeting milestones?

> How many sub dot releases are we planning in 2005?  What are
> the key milestones to be accomplished for each sub dot?  What
> are the milestones to be provided in two dot?  And when is two dot?

Don't passively ask: actively propose something!

> Asterisk (led firmly by Mark and Digium) has seen the great
> accomplishment of one dot zero.  For releases to be taken
> serioulsy, we must now have a Product Life Cycle - from Mark
> and Digium.

Frankly, Mark and Digium contribute enough already. What we really need
is more people actually contributing, and less folks actually just
talking about what is wrong.

Regards,

Jim Van Meggelen.