[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Maintenance and Development

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 16:45:56 MST 2005

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 13:24:32 -0600, Howard White <howwhi at vcch.com> wrote:
> > Frankly, Mark and Digium contribute enough already. What we really need
> > is more people actually contributing, and less folks actually just
> > talking about what is wrong.
>
> Jim, these last few thoughts of yours are where we disagree.  Mark is
> "the single point of failure" that is in charge of Asterisk.  What I
> propose by introducing established Product Life Cycle tools is a means
> by which Mark may chart the future course of Asterisk development and
> then delegate the management thereof to other Digium staff or Asterisk
> volunteers.  Asterisk is now larger than what Mark may by himself manage
> (along with Digium) and I am trying to spark the discussion by which the
> Asterisk community may positively encourage Mark to recognize the scope
> of what is going on and respond accordingly.

I believe yourself and Jim are basically on the same thought here.
The real purpose and focus we seem to be moving towards is a central
place where documentation, coding (features) and project management
can be focused.  By setting up this community Mark should be less of
the center of the universe, and more as the architect.  I am of course
not saying what Mark should or should not do, but I imagine some
pressure being lifted off him would probably be a nice change of pace.

> I also recognize the the open source community resents and rejects the
> regimentaion of planning and documentation.  Such resentment shows up,
> bluntly, as the shortcomings of Asterisk.  Mark has to delegate control
> and the developers must accept the means of delegation.

I have to *highly* disagree with you :)  I personally am extremely
interested in documentation (and now project planning after you
sparked my interest... I'm currently in an aggressive state of
learning and would like to keep this momentum up).  While the
Documentation Project and Team exist, I think it can be more effective
as a module of a greater project.

> That people who wish to document and to train newbies are needed is
> obvious as well.  Our attempts at turning trolls into customers have
> been quite futile, thank you ;)

This is also yet another area that I have interest in.  I already have
been looking into this.

I have an exiting feeling that with all the discussions going on in
the mailing list lately that people are really starting to poke up and
address the current short comings of Asterisk.  It's a maturing
product, and my belief is that Asterisk is getting ready to reach a
new point of maturity.

Thanks,
Leif Madsen.
http://www.leifmadsen.com