[Asterisk-Dev] Re: ztdummy? is it necessary?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Dec 28 13:58:59 MST 2005

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 10:46:41AM -0800, Dan Austin wrote:

> > Basically, I'm not asking if asterisk as it is today requires ztdummy.
> >
> > I'm asking if the requirement is necessary.
> Yes and no.  Recent advances in Linux (RT patches, Hi-Res timers) that
> are approaching a merge to the mainline kernel raise the possibility
> that timing could be migrated to the core of Asterisk.

Reminder: on Linux Asterisk depends (for part of its functionality) on
some kernel-level code (zaptel) that shows no signs of being merged into
kernel.org's kernel. Thus Fedora's maintainer, for instance, won't touch
it.

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com