[Asterisk-Dev] Re: ztdummy? is it necessary?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Dec 28 12:58:26 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 14:04 -0500, Jason DiCioccio wrote:
>   My understanding is that on OS's other than Linux (FreeBSD, for
> example), the support is there right now for this, but instead of having
> asterisk support these native timers directly, ztdummy was ported.

Why wouldn't you just create a ztdummy like module that allowed yourself
the ability to hook into what ever native timer you could use? This
would allow you to drive the asterisk need for a timer of some form
through an already well known and well tested API. Not to mention the
current API seems to allow you to drive asterisk from any timer you can
create meaning it is already very cross platform capable, you just need
to make the right portion of the driver to use the timer of your choice
on the platform of your choice.