[Asterisk-Dev] Re: ztdummy? is it necessary?

Jason DiCioccio jd at ods.org
Wed Dec 28 12:04:07 MST 2005

> Yes and no.  Recent advances in Linux (RT patches, Hi-Res timers) that
> are approaching a merge to the mainline kernel raise the possibility
> that timing could be migrated to the core of Asterisk.

  This would be great in my mind..

> On the other hand, if you have a hardware timer, you might prefer to
> use it, in which case making ztdummy use these new features is still
> a better way to improve timing and allow for flexibility.

  That's fine too.  Having the option for hardware timing is fine with
me,.  But requiring ztdummy if and when there is support in the kernel
that makes it unnecessary doesn't seem like a necessary requirement.

> Lastly, even if these improvements make it in to the mainline Linux
> kernel, will there be a portable way to implement the same functionality
> on other operating systems?

  I thought this was a POSIX thing, but if not, then who knows.  I'm sorry
that I don't have more information, I suppose I was curious about the
whole situation.

> So to answer a theoratical question with a theoretical answer:
> It is possible that ztdummy will not be necessary in the relatively
> near future (on Linux), but my guess is that it will be maintained and
> improved instead of eliminated.

  My understanding is that on OS's other than Linux (FreeBSD, for
example), the support is there right now for this, but instead of having
asterisk support these native timers directly, ztdummy was ported.

> Dan

Thanks!
-JD-