[Asterisk-Dev] Re: The Zaptel init scripts must die!

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Dec 13 23:12:59 MST 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 02:53:56PM +0000, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> In article <439ED06C.4000708 at digium.com>,
> Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:
> > Ok, so maybe that's a little strong :-)
> >
> > Is there any reason we keep these things around? Is there really any
> > value in not making the administrator use the existing module
> > Debian systems that I operate, it is ridiculously easy to list the
> > modules I want loaded at boot time (in
> > /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and /etc/modules, respectively), and
> > on some systems using kernel module autoloading will load them without
> > even the need for that effort.
> >
> > Let's take a poll from the developer community: are these scripts
> > providing any value? Are we just making it easy for people to not
> > actually understand what they are doing when they install Zaptel on a
> > modern distro?
>
> I use the zaptel init scripts on Fedora and Centos and find them useful.
> Especially if I upgrade, I just do:
>
> # service zaptel stop ; make install ; service zaptel start

This also means that you try to unload the modules on system shutdown.

One unexpected byproduct: zaptel modules tend to have problems with
rmmod. Those problems will beexposed, but at shutdown tiem, when there's
noeasy way to notice them and log them.

BTW: you can make install and then "restart". The same as with userspace
libraries.

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com