[Asterisk-Dev] The Zaptel init scripts must die!

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Tue Dec 13 08:55:43 MST 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Ok, so maybe that's a little strong :-)
>
> Is there any reason we keep these things around? Is there really any
> value in not making the administrator use the existing module
> Debian systems that I operate, it is ridiculously easy to list the
> modules I want loaded at boot time (in
> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and /etc/modules, respectively), and
> on some systems using kernel module autoloading will load them without
> even the need for that effort.
>
> Let's take a poll from the developer community: are these scripts
> providing any value? Are we just making it easy for people to not
> actually understand what they are doing when they install Zaptel on a
> modern distro?

Define "modern distro". ;)

The current init scripts are crap and should be deprecated. I've
volunteered to re-write them and make them consistent w/ what I've done
for the Asterisk init scripts, and break out init scripts into various,
distro specific files. I've asked for comments on #asterisk-dev and gotten
no real response.

The Init Scripts can provide value on a "modern distro" by verifying many
things are correct BEFORE loading the modules. This can be used to spit
out helpful error messages that will reduce newbie questions and
streamline support.

                             KP-216-121-ST