[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: simplifying sip configuration sections

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Wed Dec 7 13:44:49 MST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 01:30:21PM -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
> > This said, while they are a great mechanism to provide default
> > values for similar entries, they still do not address completely
> > my concerns on long individual entries.
>
> I don't think I understand the value of it being one line vs. multiple
> lines. It's nearly the same number of characters, but harder to read and

it all depends on who has to read and parse the thing.
Humans hand-editing the file surely are more at ease with compact
formats. Automated tools might prefer human-unreadable
but richer and more self-describing formats such as XML.
We have precedents for both, see the typical termcap entries
on unix machines, and the xml config files of modern monsterware.

> parse. There are many entries that won't be able to be merged into that
> single line (the boolean options, codec allowances, IP address masks,
> etc.) so it will still require a multiple line entry.

maybe you are right. as i said, i was unaware of templates, and
those cover a lot of the 'standard' fields. My reasoning was that
there are still 2-3 fields (username,secret,regexten) which do not
lend themselves to be taken from templates and would be easier, for
a human, to be written in a single line, same as the already-existing
register or auth info.  Given that these option are already there,
i thought the idea of a compact form was generally acceptable.

never mind :)

cheers
luigi