[Asterisk-Dev] RFC: simplifying sip configuration sections

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Dec 7 12:42:17 MST 2005

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 13:09, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 01:46:33PM -0500, Russell Bryant wrote:
> > On Dec 7, 2005, at 1:24 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> > > Instead, you can use 'templates' that we already support.
> > > Examples are in extensions.conf.sample. I use them to good effect
> > > to manage hundreds of SIP peers while only having 2-3 lines in
> > > each one for the parts that differ.
> >
> > There is some more documentation on configuration templates in doc/
> > README.configuration.
>
> thanks, this is certainly a big step forward in cleaning up
> config files. certainly deserves to be documented better.
>
> This said, while they are a great mechanism to provide default
> values for similar entries, they still do not address completely
> my concerns on long individual entries.

What exactly is wrong with long entries?  Yes, they take a while to
type out; yes, it's tedious; but what is the problem that you're trying
to solve?  This sounds like a solution looking for a problem, and
history on these kinds of things tends to suggest that's exactly what
this change is going to cause:  lots of problems.

--
Tilghman