[Asterisk-Dev] Re: [Asterisk-Users] Help Solving Asterisk Lockups

Joseph Benden joe at thrallingpenguin.com
Sun Aug 28 08:59:34 MST 2005

Hello,

The readme on backtraces is a good one, IF you are actually getting a
core dump file.  My guess is that you're not, since you can still
connect to the process.  And, yes, that bug id is what I'm referring to
with MySQL CDR.  However; with it being local, chances are good that
this isn't causing your grief.

So, what would be awesome is if you could do this:  The next few times
it locks up, perform these steps.  You can even try it when it's not
locked up, just so you can get the hang of doing this....  Please be
sure that you've built asterisk with debugging support, -g option to
GCC.  This is the only way I'll be able to fully tell where every
thing's at and what's happening.

First, you need to find the PID of the main Asterisk thread.  This is
found by:

# asterisk -r

And looking at the line that says "Connected to Asterisk VERSION
currently running on MACHINE (pid = X)

You need that PID number.  If you cannot connect to Asterisk, then use
this method:

# ps ax | grep asterisk

And take the lowest numbered PID returned.

Then do these steps, and send me ALL of the junk it outputs...

# gdb asterisk PIDNUMBER
(gdb) thread apply all bt full
[ tons of output ]
(gdb) quit
The program is running.  Quit anyway (and detach it)? (y or n) y

If I had to take a guess, I'm using everything you are, except LDAP and
realtime. I use custom code to do my DB call routing and features, etc.
So, it seems it could possibily be one of these; however, it could also
be that your hitting some path in the code that I'm not.

Thanks,
-Joseph Benden