[Asterisk-Dev] Re: [Asterisk-Users] Help Solving Asterisk Lockups

ewr at erols.com ewr at erols.com
Sun Aug 28 08:36:29 MST 2005

>Has anyone been able to build a test case that produces this lockup?  If
>we can at least get to that point, I'd be willing to help track down the
>problem.  I need to be able to reproduce the problem, in order to
>resolve it.

I started this thread on -users.  Sorry to break the threading (wasn't
subscribed to -dev).

I can't tell you how to recreate this, but I have a machine that is freezing
up at least once per day.  The debug logs show nothing, so I am assuming I
will have to use strace or do a backtrace or something along those lines.  I
have not done either of those before, so any direction you can give me would
be fantastic.  I saw this readme recently:
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=5036 .. Would that be the best
information to provide?

More specific information on our system and the freezes:

The server has a T100P connected to a PRI, and about 50 Polycom IP600 phones
connected via the local network.  Every couple of hours, Asterisk randomly
stops responding to all calls, both incoming on the PRI and calls from the
SIP phones.

When Asterisk stops working I can still connect to it with "asterisk -r".
Sometimes commands such as "sip show channels" and "zap show channels" show
the last statuses of when asterisk stopped working.  Other times they do
nothing.  I am running asterisk at debug level 9, but nothing appears in the
logs when asterisk stops responding.  Calls to the PRI generate a busy
signal, and
calls from the SIP phones just time out.  No new messages appear on the
debug console.

I think that "restart now" fixed the problem once, but I may be imagining
it.  We usually have to actually kill the asterisk processes and start it
again.

We were running CVS-HEAD from several weeks ago, but updated to CVS-HEAD on
Wednesday Aug 24 and are still having the same problem.  We are using
Slackware 10.1, Realtime (talking to Mysql on the same machine), ldapget,
app_ldap, rx and txfax, and logging CDR's to mysql.

>Side note: I don't think the cdr_addon_mysql.c code would be doing this,
>unless your not using the patched version and the MySQL server
>disappeared, or you are using the patched version and have the timeout
>set to zero or way to high of a value.

Is this the patch you are referring to:
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=4953 ?
We have not applied that patch, but mysql is running on the same server (and
doesn't die or get restarted) so it shouldn't be losing it's MySQL
connection.... but I'm open to all suggestions!

Eric