[Asterisk-Dev] PostgreSQL support in Asterisk 1.2?

Steven critch at basesys.com
Thu Aug 4 00:44:20 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 15:52 +1000, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> PS, why do people insist on talking about old versions of software in
> order to tell you it is bad? The past has been and gone... IMHO, focus
> on the here and now, or even better, the near future.

Near future is always vapor until it is real. As for business usage, old
versions are what are already installed due to slow roll out cycles.

Of course a very good reason is that they are examples of poor developer
attitude. Many of the features we sometimes point out that have
historically been missing are because of the attitude. Hell quite a few
of the feature completions are due to merging other products code into
the code base.

This is the same reason why the postgres project has been known
historically to be slow. The preference was for feature completeness and
proper behavior. As I understand performance has only been a priority in
the last several releases.

Of course as some of us have experienced, the feature completeness and
proper behavior allowed for a more graceful degradation than the same
load on a default mysql deployment.

> PPS, this is totally off-topic, and should be saved for some other
> mailing list somewhere else, where people are actually interested in
> talking about whose DB is bigger/faster/more colourful

Well, this portion may have strayed from original topic far enough to no
longer be appropriate for this list, but is still somewhat relevant to
the original post.
--
Steven Critchfield
critch at basesys.com