[Asterisk-Dev] PostgreSQL support in Asterisk 1.2?

Wed Aug 3 22:52:03 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 23:27 -0500, Steven wrote:
> Great, now do 4 writes in that same second, and 2 updates, and see if
> you get your prompt back in the next minute. One queries speed impresses
> no one who understands what performance should be. One fast query is
> easy, try many operations in the same time frame and do it for hours on
> end. Oh, and make sure your doing reads/updates/ and inserts at minimum
> and a delete if your masochistic enough. All those other actions reduce
> the effectiveness of your cache. You have to go back to your indicies
> and worst case, sequential scanning.

I think you are forgetting that different people have different
requirements. The person who simply blindly suggests the same solution
without understanding the problem is what I'd usually be calling a MS
'junkie'....

> That is what I mean about piss poor performance.

For that specific usage environment.

For an environment with very few writes and a lot of selects, his
solution might be the best one, or, at least, it probably isn't worth
changing it until he reaches some limitation.

PS, why do people insist on talking about old versions of software in
order to tell you it is bad? The past has been and gone... IMHO, focus
on the here and now, or even better, the near future.

PPS, this is totally off-topic, and should be saved for some other
mailing list somewhere else, where people are actually interested in
talking about whose DB is bigger/faster/more colourful

Regards,
Adam