[Asterisk-Dev] PostgreSQL support in Asterisk 1.2?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Aug 4 05:45:13 MST 2005

On Thursday 04 August 2005 01:52, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> For an environment with very few writes and a lot of selects, his
> solution might be the best one, or, at least, it probably isn't worth
> changing it until he reaches some limitation.

What *you* are forgetting is that people bitch and whine about the performance
of Asterisk's flat file configuration format and point to Realtime for
performance increases and instant-updates... and then they throw MySQL into
the mix and completely undermine everything they've been bitching about!

What the hell good is MySQL in a realtime Asterisk environment when you go to
update a user and the entire PBX waits because some table is locked?  What
the hell good is MySQL when you've got a dozen Asterisk boxes now (your
business is booming) and MySQL's sputtering and pissing about because it's
crumbling under the load?  Oh, failover and redundancy I hear you say but
let's face it -- use the proper tools for the job in the first place and you
won't end up with a duct-tape and JBWeld abomination that yes, works, but is
so brittle and inflexible that you've now painted yourself into a corner?

Of course, by the time you've reached this point you'll have so much time and
energy invested into your hacked up solution that you will refuse to accept
that you made a mistake early on and will instead religiously defend your
choice of tools, well beyond any rational argument.

> PS, why do people insist on talking about old versions of software in
> order to tell you it is bad? The past has been and gone... IMHO, focus
> on the here and now, or even better, the near future.

Until I have it installed on my system, it's vapour.

> PPS, this is totally off-topic, and should be saved for some other
> mailing list somewhere else, where people are actually interested in
> talking about whose DB is bigger/faster/more colourful

No actually it's relevant, even if only peripherally.  People need to know
what they're getting in to.

-A.