[Asterisk-Dev] PostgreSQL support in Asterisk 1.2?

Steven critch at basesys.com
Wed Aug 3 21:27:34 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 13:25 -0500, Matthew Boehm wrote:
> Quoting Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com>:

> >> What a crock of crap.  I've been running mysql for years and never once had
> >> "mangled data".
> >
> > I also have not seen mangled data, but I have seen piss poor
> > performance.
>
> I don't call it piss poor performance when I can join 3 tables with over a
> million rows in each matching values in 2 different columns in two sepearate
> tables..all in under 1 second.
>
> (thats a small description of our least cost query, using a PHP AGI)

Great, now do 4 writes in that same second, and 2 updates, and see if
you get your prompt back in the next minute. One queries speed impresses
no one who understands what performance should be. One fast query is
easy, try many operations in the same time frame and do it for hours on
end. Oh, and make sure your doing reads/updates/ and inserts at minimum
and a delete if your masochistic enough. All those other actions reduce
the effectiveness of your cache. You have to go back to your indicies
and worst case, sequential scanning.

And don't forget it wasn't that long ago the default tables for mysql
required table level locking. That quickly moves an app into issuing all
sequential queries due to locking ordering it up and blocking some
requests.

That is what I mean about piss poor performance.
--
Steven Critchfield
critch at basesys.com
KI4KTY