[Asterisk-Dev] PostgreSQL support in Asterisk 1.2?

Steven critch at basesys.com
Wed Aug 3 04:39:07 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 16:38 +1200, Daniel Swarbrick wrote:
> Forgive me if this has been asked before, I'm new to the list. I was
> wondering whether PostgreSQL support would be offered by Asterisk 1.2,
> for Asterisk Realtime configuration.
>
> I realise it can be done via ODBC, but this seems a bit clunky
> considering that the current Asterisk 1.0 branch already has support for
> writing CDR logging to PgSQL.
>
> I'm confused by the the fact that MySQL seems to be mentioned the most
> when reading Wiki entries about Asterisk Realtime, yet it is only in the
> Asterisk-addons package. If the MySQL licence is so much hassle to get
> around, why not just push the PgSQL support more vehemently?

While MySQL historically has been a lacking database compared to
postgres in the the feature department, pretty much any one with two
brain cells to rub together could install and run mysql. That low level
entry requirement has made a huge following of the database backend.

With that size of a userbase, you should see a lot of people writing
documentation for mysql usage. They are all trying to document what they
did so the next person has an easier time getting it done. Nothing odd
or wrong with what they are doing.

I speculate that those who use postgres are not as challenged with the
usage and therefore are less inclined to write documentation. That or
there isn't nearly the same number of installs and therefore smaller
cross section with asterisk and smaller yet cross section that are
willing to write documentation.

--
Steven Critchfield
critch at basesys.com