[Asterisk-Dev] ast_find_ourip and sip?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Apr 27 13:15:26 MST 2005

Brian West wrote:
>> It needs the IP so that it can do matching based on what it sees in
>> the SIP headers, and so that it can add proper Via headers and such
>> on the way out.
>

> Now that I think about it.. doing by hostname is WRONG.  Say you have
> bob.domain.com with ip 1.2.3.4.  You setup a machine a new machine..  it
> just happens to have the same hostname bob in domain.com but has a
> diffrent ip address of say 1.2.3.5.  We now do a lookup via hostname
> bob.domain.com we get 1.2.3.4 right?  This is not the right thing to
> do... and I can so think of wildcard DNS throwing a wrench in this  mess
> too. :P  OEJ do you have any input on this?

I remember that I got very upset by adding that A record to source
code... It's basically wrong. But I can't object to everything...

I need to check the code again and come back with a refreshed opinion.
The ourip stuff is a bit weird and patched so many times that it is
hard to understand. We really need better understanding in the sip
channel of what's going on to send from the right IP address (the right
interface) and use the proper IP address (which might be the externip)
within the packets. Now I'm "shooting from the hip" without having
reviewed the latest code...

We need to find that bug id...

Will come back tomorrow on this topic.
/O