[Asterisk-Dev] Web Services for Asterisk

rsenykoff at harrislogic.com rsenykoff at harrislogic.com
Fri Apr 22 20:34:30 MST 2005

> > I would like to make a significant part of my project be to expose
> > asterisk via web services. My thoughts is that I'd run a separate web
> > server (Tomcat) as the servlet engine, and have the web services on
the
> > back-end connect to asterisk.
>
> What kind of functionality do you want to expose via those web services?
> If it is mainly the kind of operation you can do via the Manager API
> have a look at asterisk-java (http://asterisk-java.sourceforge.net).
> I wrote it for easy connectivity to asterisk via FastAGI (easy
> integration into the dialplan) and the Manager API (to get information
> from asterisk, initate calls and the like). I am using a thin wrapper
> around asterisk-java to make it available via JMS so putting another
> wrapper around that exposes this functionality via web services is
> probably quite easy.
>
> > Any thoughts? This would all be open-source of course. :)
>
> Some use cases you wish to support would help :)
>
> =Stefan

Stefan, I did check out asterisk-java. Quite nice. I have a link on my
webpage to request a phone call from me which uses your code.

The general idea is to provide a layer for application integration that
does not require implementors to understand the underpinnings of Asterisk.

Mostly this would be for general messaging integration (say tie Jabber in
with Asterisk, with your PIM).

Some Use Cases for an external Application:

Application - originates a call via Asterisk which plays a message via
Festival upon pickup.
Application - polls your Voicemail.
Application - originates a call to a user and places them into their
Voicemail.
Application - originates a call to a user, optionally plays festival text,
then dials another number and bridges the calls.
Application - adds conference room with PIN

These are just some general ideas for customer service, instant-messaging
integrated applications. Professionally I've done a lot of development of
custom instant messaging apps, so this comes from a real desire to
integrate these products.

Thanks again,
-Ron