[Asterisk-Dev] Web Services for Asterisk

Stefan Reuter srt at reucon.net
Sun Apr 24 05:43:34 MST 2005

> The general idea is to provide a layer for application integration that
> does not require implementors to understand the underpinnings of Asterisk.

I understand the need for such a layer, something of a more abstract
interface to the Manager API. I started working on such a thing in the
AsteriskManager interface. It is at least rudimentary but might give you
an idea.

> Mostly this would be for general messaging integration (say tie Jabber in
> with Asterisk, with your PIM).
>
> Some Use Cases for an external Application:
>
> Application - originates a call via Asterisk which plays a message via
> Festival upon pickup.
> Application - polls your Voicemail.
> Application - originates a call to a user and places them into their
> Voicemail.
> Application - originates a call to a user, optionally plays festival text,
> then dials another number and bridges the calls.
> Application - adds conference room with PIN
>
> These are just some general ideas for customer service, instant-messaging
> integrated applications. Professionally I've done a lot of development of
> custom instant messaging apps, so this comes from a real desire to
> integrate these products.

Do you think we can define an interface that is not too specific (i.e.
not depending on a specific external application or a specific dialplan)
but hides the internals well enough to be easy to use?
Such an interface could then be wrapped for access via several
technologies (say SOAP or REST based webservices, JMS, maybe even via
Jabber messages).
I am not sure this forum is the right place to discuss this, but i am
really interested in any ideas.
So feel free to contact me via PM or the Asterisk-java mailing list.

=Stefan