[Asterisk-Dev] Spanish sounds in voicemail, is this right in vm_intro_es ??

Nicolás Gudiño nicolas at house.com.ar
Fri Apr 22 09:25:46 MST 2005

Hi Moises,

> Nicolas:
> Thanks, i did not realize at first sight of the differences between
> spanish and english, and the solution that the sounds that i have is
> that the sounds 'vm-no' in fact says 'zero', so it says:
> vm-youhave (usted tiene)
> vm-no (cero)
> vm-messages (mensajes)
>
> I dont know if the sound vm-no is used in other place and it will
> cause conflicts, but for now just works.

The problem with internationalization is that you cannot have a standard
set of sound files that makes a correct sentence in all possible
languages. For example: I don't speak chinese or japanese, but I'm sure
that they will have to acomodate some unique sounds like 'youhaveno' for
spanish. Unfortunately there is no linear translation from english to
any other language, and that's  why there is no standard.

My personal belief is that we have to make the sounds to be correct and
not a plain translation from english sounds. You might get
understandable sentences, but it is not at all correct. IMHO "usted
tiene cero mensajes" is not the correct way to tell that you have no
voicemail. The correct way is "usted no tiene mensajes". Also, to record
'cero' for vm-no.gsm is misleading. The filenames should match the
sound. Is almost like having the sound 'five' in 4.gsm

> I will appreciate if you help me to decide what to do. I think that
> the sounds i have found in voip-info.org are good, so i think i will
> keep the patch to continue working with that sounds, but the fact that
> app_voicemail is calling a sound that i have never seen/heard is
> distrubing me hehehe :P .

As there is no standard sounds set for other languages, you will have to
find out yourself, as you did. What asterisk should do is NOT to hangup
the call if a sound is missing in any language, but continue and issue a
warning at the cli/logfiles, or at least make that an option.

We had a group of people a while back doing the internationalization for
voicemail, and we discussed these very same issues...

Regards,