[Asterisk-Dev] Sparc Ultra Support

dking at pimpsoft.com dking at pimpsoft.com
Thu Sep 23 19:46:55 MST 2004

I suspect its also due to marketing that they didn't want you to do
it. As it is the makefile system is geared to work best on AMD based
i686 compatible chips and hates anything else.

You could even have the makefile run the autoconf system under the
hood. Sure would be better then the pages of #ifdef code I had to
suffer with.

I really don't see why not knowing how to use something is the issue,
from the build system it shows very plainly that the person who
started it had no idea what they where doing so it should not be that
hard to work something that helps it be more portable. Most of the
compiler problems I have seen are due to the build system being
incompatible with porting, and starting with a autoconf system would
let us be rid of these problems for good.

Just submit a patch for the makefiles that takes out all the crap and
replaces it with the good stuff using the same basic calls to make if
your offering, if your not then I may just read the docs and do it
myself. Being too much of a baby to read the manual is no excuse to
stop innovation and I would really like to know who told you ‘no’.

Just because someone is ignorant of something and is scared of
learning doesn't mean these problems need to continue to exist if a
fix can be had, in my humble opinion.

And remember this is open source, gnu tools are a part of the
package.

<on soapbox>
Come on people,  WE ARE DEVELOPERS NOT SCRIPT KIDDIOTS! Don't be
afraid of something you don't understand, just read the docs/ask
questions and gain enlightenment, after all that's what the manual is
for!
</on soapbox>

*jumps down*
*stubs toe and falls*