[Asterisk-Dev] Sparc Ultra Support

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 19:02:23 MST 2004

I offered to re-write the Asterisk build system using GNU
"auto toola", autoconf and the like.  This would solve
the problem once and for all.  But the powers that be
basically said "I don't understand GNU autotools and
don't want to learn."  Amazing how people will be happy
to maintain such rubish as 100 nested #ifdefs if it
saves then bit bit of RTFM.  I'd personally like to see
Asterisk runing a SPARC/Solaris
but would not even think of attempting it with a
hand built Makefile.  But using the GNU tools (automake,
autoconf and libtool) it's almost
triveal to get my stuff to build on all four combinations
of i386, Sparc, Linux and Solaris.

> ifneq (${OSARCH},Darwin)
> ifneq (${PROC},x86_64)
> ifneq (${PROC},ultrasparc)
> ifneq ($(shell uname -m),ppc)
> ifneq ($(shell uname -m),alpha)
> OPTIMIZE+=-march=$(PROC)
> endif
> endif
> endif
> endif
> endif
>
> It's clear that people have no idea what they're doing and are just
> blindly adding gcc flags that they found from some unrealiable site
> on the web that says it will give them a huge performance boost.
> There are cases of -O4 and -O6 optimization levels in the Asterisk
> Makefiles.  These don't even do anything.  -O3 is the highest
> optimization level.  I have never seen a large *reliable*
> performance boost from mucking w/all these platform specific
> optimizations.  In fact, by removing -mtune -march, -O3, -O4, -O6,
> etc. I have compiled Asterisk on:

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com