[Asterisk-Dev] Windows

matt.riddell at sineapps.com matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Tue Sep 21 14:20:53 MST 2004

On 21 Sep 2004 at 23:57, list at asd-group.com wrote:

> I agree with every word that you say, and that's where I'll ultimately
> go, hopefully before too long.
>
> But **for now** I have to run on WS2003 on an existing Epia board -
> end of. Its nothing to do with being anti-Linux (I'm not). And, right
> now, time is the one resource that I've got buckets of!!

Fair enough.

> I also see the driver porting as being "fun" and a diversion back to
> work I did many years ago on OS/2 (I say that having browsed the
> zaptel code at the weekend) - time to see if I've still got it ;-)

Driver porting fun?!  Surely you are the perfect linux coder
candidate!

Don't forget to check out the Zaptel Under The Hood Blog.  It's
basically a run through the zaptel code with running commentary.

You can find it at:

http://zapteldoc.blogspot.com/

> I honestly cant think why it isn't anything but a good thing if 1)
> Windows were to get the use of Digium hardware and 2) Asterix were to
> get to run fully on Windows too.

For me the problem would be the negative publicity associated with
jpegs compromising your Asterisk PABX (noone cares it wasn't designed
to run on windows).  The press you would receive from that would more
than outweigh the good parts, and a compromised PABX could quickly
cause problems.

I.E. Having no walls at Fort Knox would definitely make it easier to
move goods in and out, but the negative publicity associated with a
break in (which would be more than likely to happen) would mean than
people stopped storing their gold there.

> Of course I'll have to be *REALLY* stuck before I ask any questions on
> here along the way, now ;-)

Don't be like that!  :-)

Cheers,

Matt Riddell