[Asterisk-Dev] Using Asterisk to record calls NOT passing through Asterisk

Sun Sep 12 08:00:13 MST 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:40:50 +0200 (SAST), steve at daviesfam.org
<steve at daviesfam.org> wrote:
> No doubt "open, standardised SIP" and all that
> was part of the selling pitch for this solution.

I guess you are right :-)

> But in reality they are still just as locked in as if they had bought any other proprietary PBX.

To be fair, it is easier for them to move parts off their Avaya
system, ie the call logging, than if it was also using a proprietary
protocol. And if they ever decide to migrate, they can do it more
easily than if it was totally closed.

One of the interesting revelations was that they couldn't really
deploy Asterisk as a solution in between the Avaya system and the
Avaya phones, even if SLAs were not an issue, simply because it would
raise the question "If Asterisk can do the job reliably (sitting in
between), why did we just spend all that money on the Avaya switch?".

And that's why I would love to help them out with an Asterisk server
that just sits outside and captures the calls for them, something
Avaya doesn't seem to be able to do whether external or not. I know
that if we are to deploy such a solution based on Asterisk, then their
next purchase will not that easily go to Avaya.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.