[Asterisk-Dev] A crazy idea... Skype channel in Asterisk

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Tue Oct 19 15:56:18 MST 2004

Chris Lee wrote:

> Benjamin on Asterisk Mailing Lists wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:30:26 +0200, Olle E. Johansson
>> <oej at edvina.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Check Dundi, in CVS head of Asterisk. http://www.dundi.com
>>>
>>> Mark Spencer's latest innovation ;-)
>>

>> Beautiful!
>>
>> And I particularly like the part that says "the remarkably simple and
>> concise ENUM ..." :-)
>>
>> But anyway, that means chan_skype should be off the menu.
>>
>> rgds
>> benjk
>>

> DUNDi sounds great!
> Now all we need is a cross platform DUNDi aware "IAX Proxy"
> Package DUNDi, the proxy and an IAX client in one simple to use client
> and we have an open Skype replacement.
>
> If the proxy is clever enough it might allow for special routing of
> calls, e.g. routing over 4 hops using proxies with fast connections
> rather than direct point to point via a slow link with no QOS.
>
> I cant wait for the day when I can direct my family and friends at a
> site to download a client with these features.
> Then they can create accounts for themselves and start calling me and
> each other.

I don't think Dundi is needed for this:  What your family and friends
need is a cross-platform IAX client set up to connect via a
Dundi-enabled asterisk server (cluster).  I don't think end-user clients
need to know about Dundi at all, because they're not going to be peers
(at least, I don't expect that we're going to have every end-user
signing this license document to use this; that would certainly be much
more user-unfriendly than anything..).

So, since they're not signing the license, they aren't going to be
peers, and hence won't need Dundi;  Just IAX (or sip, or whatever you want).

-SteveK