[Asterisk-Dev] A crazy idea... Skype channel in Asterisk

Chris Lee cslee-list at cybericom.co.uk
Wed Oct 20 02:13:54 MST 2004

Steve Kann wrote:
> Chris Lee wrote:
>
>> Benjamin on Asterisk Mailing Lists wrote:

>>> Beautiful!
>>>
>>> And I particularly like the part that says "the remarkably simple and
>>> concise ENUM ..." :-)
>>>
>>> But anyway, that means chan_skype should be off the menu.
>>>
>>> rgds
>>> benjk
>>>

>> DUNDi sounds great!
>> Now all we need is a cross platform DUNDi aware "IAX Proxy"
>> Package DUNDi, the proxy and an IAX client in one simple to use client
>> and we have an open Skype replacement.
>>
>> If the proxy is clever enough it might allow for special routing of
>> calls, e.g. routing over 4 hops using proxies with fast connections
>> rather than direct point to point via a slow link with no QOS.
>>
>> I cant wait for the day when I can direct my family and friends at a
>> site to download a client with these features.
>> Then they can create accounts for themselves and start calling me and
>> each other.
>

> I don't think Dundi is needed for this:  What your family and friends
> need is a cross-platform IAX client set up to connect via a
> Dundi-enabled asterisk server (cluster).  I don't think end-user clients
> need to know about Dundi at all, because they're not going to be peers
> (at least, I don't expect that we're going to have every end-user
> signing this license document to use this; that would certainly be much
> more user-unfriendly than anything..).
>
> So, since they're not signing the license, they aren't going to be
> peers, and hence won't need Dundi;  Just IAX (or sip, or whatever you
> want).

If DUNDi is only for the "carriers" as such, then the user still has to
register with one "carrier", which one do I use?
Rather it would be more user friendly if the user registered with the
"network" and left it to the client software to set up peering as
suitable for his requirements.

Now I did see that the E164 "zone" in DUNDi required licensing but this
zone could be any other string, so maybe DUNDi with the zone set to
"share" would do the trick for unlicensed anyone with an appropriate
VoIP client can join environment. I may have read this wrong.

Chris.