[Asterisk-Dev] A crazy idea... Skype channel in Asterisk

Tue Oct 19 09:35:47 MST 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:00:35 -0500, Fernando Romo <pop at cofradia.org> wrote:

> I understand your position about Skype and agree with you in the fact of
> support AIX, but... i still think and i propose the idea of the skype
> channel, is take two actions about it:
>
> 1) Press the Skype people to Open the Protocol and make and effort to
> make the channel

As I said, I believe you are kidding yourself. OK, nothing is
impossible but I think you may as well expect Microsoft to release
Windoze under the GPL.

Without Skype opening their protocol, I personally will continue to
promote Skype boycott.

> 2) Make a project wher we make a "Central IAX Directory" (Skype Like)

There is already such a thing. It's called IAXTEL.

> Make a AIX Client for many plataforms
> the more user frienly can be and try to make the solution spread as much as
> we can. (here we need Win, Mac Programers... Linux is taked for granted)

Well, there is iaxComm which is multi-platform (Windoze, MacOSX and
Linux) and open source. It doesn't have the eyecandy though. So, some
folks are needed to improve the GUI part.

Firefly has the nice GUI but isn't multi-platform. Mind you Skype
wasn't multi-platform either until about a month ago when they
released a *beta* of a MacOSX version.

> I think the Asterisk effort can take much relevance (and publicity) with
> the skype interconectivity,

I disagree. It would help Skype more than it would help Asterisk.

> And i finishs with this question: We can compite vs Skype and win?

Absolutely. We can smash Skype into pieces by staying away from it. We
have everything going for us: a very active community, support for
virtually all the standards that matter in telephony, open source and
an open protocol that has all the ingredients to become the next VoIP
standard.

> But maybe we are in the oportunity to make
> IAX and standard.

Definitely, yes.

rgds
benjk

BTW, it's IAX as in Inter Asterisk eXchange. AIX is IBM's Unix OS ;-)

Tokyo, Japan.