[Asterisk-Dev] A crazy idea... Skype channel in Asterisk

Fernando Romo pop at cofradia.org
Tue Oct 19 09:00:35 MST 2004

Benjamin:

I understand your position about Skype and agree with you in the fact of
support AIX, but... i still think and i propose the idea of the skype
channel, is take two actions about it:

1) Press the Skype people to Open the Protocol and make and effort to
make the channel

2) Make a project wher we make a "Central IAX Directory" (Skype Like)
where we deposit our "contact" channels and a kind of "signature" to try
to make a "trusted" Phone comunity. This derivate two efforts:

     a) Make a Server side aplication for the directory and contacts (I
can do it)

     b) And the most important.... Make a AIX Client for many plataforms
the more user
          frienly can be and try to make the solution spread as much as
we can.
          (here we need Win, Mac Programers... Linux is taked for granted)

I think the Asterisk effort can take much relevance (and publicity) with
the skype interconectivity, if this company has 28 million users, is not
a little number.

And i finishs with this question: We can compite vs Skype and win?

Maybe the Open Source side of this can help us, but if the IAX
application can't take the preference in the users (and not Open source
people) the chances are low. But maybe we are in the oportunity to make
IAX and standard.

Your comments are welcome. I Think my little idea has derivate another
big issues.

Best Regards....... Fernando Romo
                             pop at cofradia.org