[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Credits and Fair use. Mark Pls Respond.

Richard Lyman pchammer at dynx.net
Tue Oct 5 18:10:17 MST 2004

dking at pimpsoft.com wrote:

>Why is it that ever time I turn around, no ones name is on anything
>but Marks, EVEN if I know for a fact he did not do the work in
>question?
>
>Why does it look like to me that Mark simply takes credit for work he
>did not do, taking others names off there work?
>
>Why is it I know for a fact that several things in asterisk are not
>done by mark, but have his name on it?
>
>This way of doing things is not true open source idealistic. Taking
>someones name off of something to put your own name on it is
>unethical and immoral. It also can be seen as illegal.
>
>Large open source software projects usually have a credits file
>listing everyone who helped out. Instead asterisk source code all has
>'copyright Mark Spencer' and the only names in the 'credits' files
>are little adds for companies that helped Mark get it off the ground
>and members of the 'inner circle'.
>
>What about the rest of us? What about the community that did the
>work?
>
>So I am asking digum/Mark/whoever: So why is it happening? Why has it
>been allowed?
>
>I'm not asking for a long multi threaded discussion where everybody
>gets pissed off and angry at the whistle-blower (me). I just want to
>know why Mark you say you are a part of the open source community,
>yet you disrespect it and every single person who has helped with
>your actions by plagiarizing or in the minds of some of the people I
>have talked to, stolen, work.
>
>Hell you have added work by ME without giving credits, and I have
>talked to many others, some who even had code added without having to
>sign disclaimers (and that's a interesting topic for later) who all
>say the same thing. They feel that Mark simply takes credit for
>everyone else's work, and doesn't even credit the people who do the
>work.
>
>So I want to know why Mark. I'm not calling you out. I'm not blaming
>you for something other people I have told me you did. I'm not asking
>about the code you have included in asterisk without having signed
>disclaimers. I'm not asking about code you have included in asterisk
>that may be the ownership of other people.
>
>I AM asking why you have done this, and why code I know either to
>have been done by others or myself is written off as your work. I AM
>asking why you do not count the numerous other people who have
>submitted patches or helped in the development of asterisk in the
>credits file. I AM asking you why you say in most if not all the
>files you say ‘copyright Mark Spencer’ when so many others including
>myself have put valuable time and effort into them. I am asking you
>why you have taken out names from credits in source code in what
>looks to me like so the true ownership to them is not traceable.
>
>So instead of calling you out, I'm asking you WHY.
>
>- D
>

>disclaimer:  i don't follow bugs like i used too, nor am i with digium.

i'm not referring to the stuff you say no disclaimer is signed, either.

but, the mods i've seen by those that PUT info in the mod/app/etc
claiming rights. or claiming 'by'... remained
myself, i've never added 'by me', /* initals */, copyright
this/that/other, etc so, as far as anything i've done... mark/digium you
have at it, just as stated on the disclaimers i've signed.

btw: to mark, digium, all the other contributors.... thank you again!
wonderful product <G>