[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Credits and Fair use. Mark Pls Respond.

dking at pimpsoft.com dking at pimpsoft.com
Tue Oct 5 17:58:06 MST 2004

Why is it that ever time I turn around, no ones name is on anything
but Marks, EVEN if I know for a fact he did not do the work in
question?

Why does it look like to me that Mark simply takes credit for work he
did not do, taking others names off there work?

Why is it I know for a fact that several things in asterisk are not
done by mark, but have his name on it?

This way of doing things is not true open source idealistic. Taking
someones name off of something to put your own name on it is
unethical and immoral. It also can be seen as illegal.

Large open source software projects usually have a credits file
listing everyone who helped out. Instead asterisk source code all has
'copyright Mark Spencer' and the only names in the 'credits' files
are little adds for companies that helped Mark get it off the ground
and members of the 'inner circle'.

What about the rest of us? What about the community that did the
work?

So I am asking digum/Mark/whoever: So why is it happening? Why has it
been allowed?

I'm not asking for a long multi threaded discussion where everybody
gets pissed off and angry at the whistle-blower (me). I just want to
know why Mark you say you are a part of the open source community,
yet you disrespect it and every single person who has helped with
your actions by plagiarizing or in the minds of some of the people I
have talked to, stolen, work.

Hell you have added work by ME without giving credits, and I have
talked to many others, some who even had code added without having to
sign disclaimers (and that's a interesting topic for later) who all
say the same thing. They feel that Mark simply takes credit for
everyone else's work, and doesn't even credit the people who do the
work.

So I want to know why Mark. I'm not calling you out. I'm not blaming
you for something other people I have told me you did. I'm not asking
about the code you have included in asterisk without having signed
disclaimers. I'm not asking about code you have included in asterisk
that may be the ownership of other people.

I AM asking why you have done this, and why code I know either to
have been done by others or myself is written off as your work. I AM
asking why you do not count the numerous other people who have
submitted patches or helped in the development of asterisk in the
credits file. I AM asking you why you say in most if not all the
files you say ‘copyright Mark Spencer’ when so many others including
myself have put valuable time and effort into them. I am asking you
why you have taken out names from credits in source code in what
looks to me like so the true ownership to them is not traceable.

So instead of calling you out, I'm asking you WHY.

- D