[Asterisk-Dev] Configurable SIP User Agent string

Soren Rathje asterisk at lolle.org
Fri Nov 5 00:56:10 MST 2004

Benjamin on Asterisk Mailing Lists wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:09:19 -0800, TC <trclark at shaw.ca> wrote:
>>>
>> why can't you use the useragent= in sip.conf
>> that will over ride DEFAULT_USERAGENT "Asterisk PBX"
>
> doesn't seem to work here -- maybe more recent an addition than the
> version I am running, but anyway, I don't think that setting this on a
> global level addresses the issue I have raised.

This was put in CVS around May 25.

> What I am talking about is a trouble-shooting scenario ***only***. You
> don't want to change the user agent string globally, nor even
> permanently. All you want is change it temporarily for a particular
> peer while you are on the phone with the remote peer's support staff.

The idea about a per peer/user customisable useragent string is not a bad
idea, someone is bound to lock their systems eventually to avoid the added
cost of support personnell spending hours trying to debug product "this and
that" and also there is a potential loss of revenue when customers don't buy
their "certified" ATA/UA. Not that I believe it is significant with respect
to Asterisk as it is still regarded as "toys for boys" and not for the
generel audience. :-)

If you turn it around and use it for incoming calls it could be used to
select a profile from a pool of templates. Two things that comes to mind in
this regard is DTMF (inband or RFC) and whether the UA supports MWI (no
point in sending them if the UA can't use them). There are probably more
options one can squeeze in there as we go along.

/Soren