[Asterisk-Dev] Configurable SIP User Agent string

Fri Nov 5 01:45:29 MST 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 08:56:10 +0100, Soren Rathje <asterisk at lolle.org> wrote:

> >> why can't you use the useragent= in sip.conf
> >> that will over ride DEFAULT_USERAGENT "Asterisk PBX"
> >
> > maybe more recent an addition than the
> > version I am running,
>
> This was put in CVS around May 25.

thanks for the info.

> > What I am talking about is a trouble-shooting scenario ***only***. You
> > don't want to change the user agent string globally, nor even
> > permanently. All you want is change it temporarily for a particular
> > peer while you are on the phone with the remote peer's support staff.
>
> The idea about a per peer/user customisable useragent string is not a bad
> idea, someone is bound to lock their systems eventually

fair enough.

> If you turn it around and use it for incoming calls it could be used to
> select a profile from a pool of templates.

Great idea!

>From this perspective, I'd say, OK, there is a good case for having
"useragent=flintstone" inside the user/peer definition, not just in
the general section of sip.conf.

However, in my view, the troubleshooting/support-call scenario I was
talking about would still justify to allow the UA string to be set
directly from the console as a temporary measure.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.