[Asterisk-Dev] Configurable SIP User Agent string

Thu Nov 4 20:44:48 MST 2004

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:09:19 -0800, TC <trclark at shaw.ca> wrote:

> why can't you use the useragent= in sip.conf
> that will over ride DEFAULT_USERAGENT "Asterisk PBX"

doesn't seem to work here -- maybe more recent an addition than the
version I am running, but anyway, I don't think that setting this on a
global level addresses the issue I have raised.

What I am talking about is a trouble-shooting scenario ***only***. You
don't want to change the user agent string globally, nor even
permanently. All you want is change it temporarily for a particular
peer while you are on the phone with the remote peer's support staff.

Once they have told you what their equipment expects to see in the SIP
messages and you have been able to replicate this, then you don't
really need to masquerade a different UA string any further. The only
situation where you would want to change this permanently is where a
service provider explicitly denies service based on the UA string. I
don't really think that anybody is doing that, at least not yet.

In other words, the whole exercise is to get past the support staff
who will use the UA string as an excuse not to look into the issue you
are bringing up. You can tell them that you have just changed the
device to <supported device> and that you are still having the same
problem. That will typically get them to look into the actual problem
and provide the information needed for you to fix the problem.

Before this background, I believe that the UA string should be
changeable on the CLI (for a specified peer) without having to edit
any configuration files and without having to do any reload.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.