[Asterisk-Dev] Regional Options

Fran Boon flavour at partyvibe.com
Sun May 23 01:04:53 MST 2004

Dave Harvey wrote:
> I'm a UK user, relatively new to Asterisk, but keen to add a few features
> (like UK-style Caller ID, which looks likeit should be feasible on the new
> hardware).

Great, you'll make many people happy with that :)

> However, in order to enable this appropriately, I would need to
> "know" what region a articular channel is supposed to be operating in, and I
> can't find options to set this.....yes, there are LANGUAGE options, but this
> is no use in trying to decide if CallerID should be US, UK, South Africa
> etc.!  Am I missing something, and if there isn't alrerady such a system,
> should it be added - might then be useful for other things such as:
> ringing cadences
> conventional codes for caller ID suppresion etc. (e.g. we uses 141 in the
> UK)
> and propably a few more I haven't thought of.

http://voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+config+indications.conf
country=uk

internal callerID suppression would need to be dealt with in the dialplan.
Sounds like a nice option to give users.

external callerID suppression could be accessed as-normal, as long as
the dialplan supported it...having this as a variable & then making it
accessible  through an alternative code would be simple dialplan 'magic'
if you wanted it.

> Idealy, there would be both a country (ISO 3166 2 letter code?) and an
> optional  system identifier, as some countries (including technically the
> UK) have only supplier specific oddities ("UK" caller ID is actually a BT
> standard).
> My suggestion would be that it be "per channel" so that a mixed bag of
> equipment from diffeent zones could be used, but there may be a better
> way.....ideas anyone?

Both sound like potentially useful enhancements...