[Asterisk-Dev] Regional Options

Dave Harvey dave at medicalconnections.co.uk
Sat May 22 15:01:21 MST 2004

I'm a UK user, relatively new to Asterisk, but keen to add a few features
(like UK-style Caller ID, which looks likeit should be feasible on the new
hardware).  However, in order to enable this appropriately, I would need to
"know" what region a articular channel is supposed to be operating in, and I
can't find options to set this.....yes, there are LANGUAGE options, but this
is no use in trying to decide if CallerID should be US, UK, South Africa
etc.!  Am I missing something, and if there isn't alrerady such a system,
should it be added - might then be useful for other things such as:

ringing cadences
conventional codes for caller ID suppresion etc. (e.g. we uses 141 in the
UK)
and propably a few more I haven't thought of.

Idealy, there would be both a country (ISO 3166 2 letter code?) and an
optional  system identifier, as some countries (including technically the
UK) have only supplier specific oddities ("UK" caller ID is actually a BT
standard).

My suggestion would be that it be "per channel" so that a mixed bag of
equipment from diffeent zones could be used, but there may be a better
way.....ideas anyone?

Dave Harvey