[Asterisk-Dev] Question on srvlookup and asterisk

Tom Schroer asterisknow at golinx.net
Sat May 22 08:04:53 MST 2004

We've recently set up * to work in conjunction with the SNOM 4S proxy and it
is working great and allowing me to interconnect to carriers directly via
SIP.  I am looking for some direction on processing calls through * to uri's
that have an SRV entry in their domain to allow it to send sip traffic
destined for that domain to a SNOM 4S proxy.

The way I have it set up is when calls come into the * to a particular user
number, it is set up in the extensions.conf file to send the call to a user
registered on a SNOM 4S, for example:
exten => _9995551212,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@domainA,,r)

where....
[domainA]
type=friend
insecure=yes
host=domainA.com
context=outbound

and 9995551212 is an account in domainA.com on the SNOM 4S

 The SRV record in domianA.com's DNS has as its target my SNOM 4S proxy.

For example: 	 _sip._udp.domainA.com. 43200 IN      SRV     0 0 5060
mysnom4s.net.
		 _sip._tcp.domainA.com. 43200 IN      SRV     0 0 5060
mysnom4s.net.

I have srvlookup = yes in the sip.conf file, however, when I look at what
happens via tethereal traces, it looks like * is doing a regular DNS lookup
for domainA.com and not a SRV lookup which would allow it to resolve to the
4S proxy.  I have worked around the issue temporarily by putting an entry in
the /etc/hosts file ...
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx     domainA.com
where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx us the IP address of the 4S proxy server, but that may
be screwing things up more than anything.  I have looked through the
documentation and the message board and found a couple items that seemed to
relate, however, it for the most part indicated the capability is inherent
within * by setting the srvlookup equal to yes.

Any suggestions on getting the srv lookup working correctly would be
appreciated.

Tom Schroer