[Asterisk-Dev] Solaris Port (was: asterisk-users: Re: Fedora Core 2 and Kernel 2.6)

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Thu May 20 16:31:48 MST 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 01:52:29PM -0700, John Todd wrote:

> At 10:29 AM -0700 on 5/20/04, Bob Knight wrote:
> [snip]
> >If you hit a wall trying to get intel based boxes to do the job, let me
> >know.
> >I am working on a SunOS port.  It would be fun to see this running
> >on a Sun Fire server.
> >Should be able to scale it to 1000+ rooms.  Only problem, servers
> >run from about 50k to a million.
> >That's like real money.  But it would still be fun.
> >btw: this is not a very pretty port.  The current state of the *
> >source tree does not lend itself
> >very well to other OS's.  Quite a bit of hacking involved.
> >Something that I would never
> >want to see checked into cvs.
> Well, if it can be done with a series of reasonably-documented
> #define's and whatnot, then I don't see why it wouldn't be committed
> to CVS.  Having Solaris interoperability would be actually a very
> nice feather in Asterisk's cap, since (for whatever reasons) Solaris
> is a widely-used and supported telephony platform.

Because Solaris is a supported OS, and there's a lot of telephony
hardware that runs in it (and Solaris libs, and a lot of Java effort
into things like SIP). Sun also make 48V kit, which is what telephony
companies use in their racks.

> While I am extremely vague on the details, I recall that there are
> some "special" instructions in the UltraSparc chipset that handle
> FFT's and other nifty things, which might also lend themselves to
> large-scale, fast transcoding.  Now, that might have been video-only
> - I don't recall...  but I know a guy who used those routines to do
> real-time encoding of 16 (!!!!) ~150kbps IP video streams for
> motion-detection frame comparison, video storage, and other nifty
> features, all in a single 440mhz Netra X1.  Perhaps someone with an
> actual clue about Solaris and Sparc programming could comment on the
> viability of this for Asterisk's purposes if a port were to be made...

Have a look for Sun's MediaLib on www.sun.com

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd Phone/Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
SMS steve-epage (at) gbnet.net [body] gpg 1024D/468952DB 2001-09-19