[Asterisk-Dev] Solaris Port (was: asterisk-users: Re: Fedora Core 2 and Kernel 2.6)

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu May 20 17:15:32 MST 2004

At 12:31 AM +0100 on 5/21/04, Steve Kennedy wrote:
>On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 01:52:29PM -0700, John Todd wrote:
>
>[snip]
>  > to CVS.  Having Solaris interoperability would be actually a very
>>  nice feather in Asterisk's cap, since (for whatever reasons) Solaris
>>  is a widely-used and supported telephony platform.
>
>Because Solaris is a supported OS, and there's a lot of telephony
>hardware that runs in it (and Solaris libs, and a lot of Java effort
>into things like SIP). Sun also make 48V kit, which is what telephony
>companies use in their racks.

I used the term "whatever reasons" to defer to those who would
whine^H^H^H^H^Hcomment that the use of Sun equipment and Solaris is
purely a political issue dealing with the exclusion of <insert open
operating system of choice> in those environments. I am quite
familiar with Sun's NEBS lines of equipment and CPCI platforms as
well, and would like to see it supported for those very reasons (try
getting an off-the-shelf Linux server approved for use in an RBOC CO
- it's a good exercise in Soviet bureaucracy.)

>  > While I am extremely vague on the details, I recall that there are
>>  some "special" instructions in the UltraSparc chipset that handle
>>  FFT's and other nifty things, which might also lend themselves to
>>  large-scale, fast transcoding.  Now, that might have been video-only
>>  - I don't recall...  but I know a guy who used those routines to do
>>  real-time encoding of 16 (!!!!) ~150kbps IP video streams for
>>  motion-detection frame comparison, video storage, and other nifty
>>  features, all in a single 440mhz Netra X1.  Perhaps someone with an
>>  actual clue about Solaris and Sparc programming could comment on the
>>  viability of this for Asterisk's purposes if a port were to be made...
>
>Have a look for Sun's MediaLib on www.sun.com
>
>Steve

For those who are too click-lazy to dig through Sun's site, here are
some snippets of data for list readers from the documentation of the
Solaris mediaLib (which, I believe, uses specialized routines on the
processor if used on an UltraSparc platform - I'm not a programmer or
chip guy, so don't quote me on that):

Signal and Audio: Encoding and Decoding
mlib_SignalADPCM2Bits2Linear(mlib_s16 *pcm, mlib_u8 *adpcm, void
*state, mlib_s32 n)
mlib_SignalADPCM3Bits2Linear(mlib_s16 *pcm, mlib_u8 *adpcm, void
*state, mlib_s32 n)
mlib_SignalADPCM4Bits2Linear(mlib_s16 *pcm, mlib_u8 *adpcm, void
*state, mlib_s32 n)
mlib_SignalADPCM5Bits2Linear(mlib_s16 *pcm, mlib_u8 *adpcm, void
*state, mlib_s32 n)
mlib_SignalADPCMFree(void *state)1
mlib_SignalADPCMInit(void **state)
mlib_SignalALaw2Linear(mlib_s16 *pcm, mlib_u8 *acode, mlib_s32 n)
mlib_SignalALaw2uLaw(mlib_u8 *ucode, mlib_u8 *acode, mlib_s32 n)
mlib_SignalIMDCT_D64(mlib_d64 *data)
mlib_SignalIMDCT_F32(mlib_f32 *data)
mlib_SignalIMDCTSPLIT_D64(mlib_d64 *data)
mlib_SignalIMDCTSPLIT_F32(mlib_f32 *data)
mlib_SignalLinear2ADPCM2Bits(mlib_su8 *adpcm, mlib_s16 *pcm, void
*state, mlib_s32 n)
mlib_SignalLinear2ADPCM3Bits(mlib_u8 *adpcm, mlib_s16 *pcm, void
*state, mlib_s32 n)
mlib_SignalLinear2ADPCM4Bits(mlib_u8 *adpcm, mlib_s16 *pcm, void
*state, mlib_s32 n)
mlib_SignalLinear2ADPCM5Bits(mlib_u8 *adpcm, mlib_s16 *pcm, void
*state, mlib_s32 n)

Taken from:

http://www.sun.com/processors/vis/download/mlib/mlib_qr.pdf

JT