[Asterisk-Dev] GR-303 support?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Mon Jun 14 20:13:33 MST 2004

Dave Weis wrote:

> FXO lines are signalled using FXS protocol, and vice versa. My X100P
> uses fxsks for signalling, a station-facing port signals FXO to an FXS
> device.

Right, I know that :-) But in the Asterisk world, devices (and
connections use to service devices) are named the opposite way... a port
used to connect to an analog line from the PSTN is called an FXO port
(like the X100P is called), even though it uses FXS signalling to
connect to what is traditionally called an FXO line in the telco world.

So, given that, it's likely that the GR-303 support that is in CVS HEAD
is using FXO to refer to the signalling method, not the device/channel
type. If that's the case, then it definitely is intended to allow
Asterisk to drive GR-303 access devices, nor for Asterisk itself to be
used as an access device. The latter is what interests me, although I
can see how those who are using Asterisk to provide service to large
numbers of analog phones would be excited by being able to have fewer
T-1 ports on their Asterisk box than (# of phones)/24.