[Asterisk-Dev] MWI indications and AGI Voicemail

Brian Cuthie brian at systemix.com
Tue Jun 1 09:07:16 MST 2004

 From the discussions on this group, it looks like a lot of people are
working pretty hard on various voicemail enhancements or changes. But as
a core app of Asterisk this seems fraught with peril. For one thing,
it's going to be difficult for organizations to keep their voicemail
implementations in sync with Asterisk as it evolves. And, the
implementation of app_voicemail has gotten pretty bulky, including stuff
to deal with sendmail (!).

I keep thinking voicemail should be an AGI script. Along those lines I
would love to see MWI handled a little differently. Right now, it's
directly tied to the current vm implementation at the file system level
through ast_app_messagecount(). But this then ties all of Asterisk to a
particular voicemail file layout, if not implementation.

One suggestion I have is to move MWI status into db. Then any app could
set the MWI for a mailbox directly allowing external AGI-driven
voicemail implementations, of which I suspect we'd see some pretty good
ones.

-brian