[Asterisk-Dev] MWI indications and AGI Voicemail

Paul Crick web-asterisk-dev at ivrl.com
Tue Jun 1 10:58:46 MST 2004

> One suggestion I have is to move MWI status into db. Then
> any app could set the MWI for a mailbox directly allowing
> external AGI-driven voicemail implementations, of which I
> suspect we'd see some pretty good ones.
You can kind of kludge this right now. Creating an empty file called
msg0000.txt in a voicemail mailbox directory will trigger MWI for the
extension(s) associated with that mailbox. Removing the file clears the
indication. I've played with this on Zap channels and it works a treat. (The
reason for playing was to see if we could get MWI to signal presence of
messages in an external voicemail system).

I've thought about voicemail through AGI too - I guess cos I can't code C to
save my life but can get by in Perl. It's semi reinventing the wheel, but I
have to say that I'd prefer to see the voicemail backend be stored in a
database - it opens up all sorts of other possibilities and gets around the
current problems of message numbers getting out of sequence etc.

Just my $0.02