[Asterisk-Dev] UK Caller ID patch and new CVS

Craig Southeren craigs at postincrement.com
Fri Jul 23 09:25:18 MST 2004

As one of the core developers of the OpenH323 project, I agree with this
view.

Sometimes, forcibly integrating user contributed patches at any cost
creates more problems than it's solves. It's not always a matter of
increasing functionality at any cost - in the long term, an Open Source
project is more about mantainability and ease of understanding than
simply increasing functionality. Sometimes, it is better to wait until
someone who *really* understands the code is able to create a patch that
is fully integrated with the existing code, rather than just hacking in
a change to solve a problem.

I know that OpenH323 is a dirty word as far as some of the Asterisk
developers are concerned, but this problem is common to both projects.
Good patches are hard to find :)

   Craig

 Craig Southeren      craigs at postincrement.com / craigs at voxgratia.org

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren at hotmail.com
 Mobile: +61 417231046   Jabber: craigs at jabber.voxgratia.org

 Post Increment - Consulting & Services    http://www.postincrement.com
 Vox Gratia - The Open Source VoIP portal  http://www.voxgratia.org