[Asterisk-Dev] External Call Control/ CTI

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Jan 9 17:30:54 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 15:08, toms at xmission.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I searched the groups for something on point and while I found some close
> issues, none were right on so here goes...
>
> I was wondering if there is any support for external call control typical of
> external ACD systems. I worked on an ACD system that was external to the
> switch (Harris) and I would be interested in creating an interface for call
> control. The idea being that a standalone box only needs to know that a
> call arrived in the queue, and it will direct it to the agent with the
> correct skill set (skills-based routing). There is really no reason to have
> the main switch perform this type of processing and the associated
> reporting etc. Other things like agent on hook/off hook and call status
> (ringing, parked, etc) would be necessary.
>
> Has anyone worked on this that may be able to point me in the right
> direction?
>
> The best analogy I can offer is wanting a CSTA type interface to Asterisk.

On the old system you are used to, it was probably necessary for there
to be an external computer t do more than rudimentary routing. But on
asterisk, you already are on a computer. You also are on an open source
platform that provides you with the ability to add or change code that
is there.

With that said, have you looked at the queue stuff yet? As I understand
it, the routing plans are modular and pluggable. This means if you are
wanting to write a different method of deciding which calls go where,
just write it as a plug in to the current queue app and revel in how
easy the interface is.

Try working with the tools first, and then determine what other tools
you need.