[Asterisk-Dev] Current database abstraction effort ?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Jan 5 13:37:42 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 12:18, Chris Albertson wrote:
> > > - make it more prone to various lib incompatibilites (is unixodbc
> > >   compatible between versions ?)
> > > - add some unnecessary complexity, and/or have significant a
> > >   performance cost.
>
> The performance cost is low.  Even on a larg PBX how many CDR
> records per second are written?  My guess is that 100 per second
> would be a LOT.  But 100/sec would not tax a reasonable PC running
> ODBC

I think you need to examine normal installs and performance here. While
the ODBC portion may not have a problem moving 100 records a second,
quite a few DBs have problems when you do that kind of insert load on
them. Specifically I would never bet the farm on MySQL holding up to
that. I would probably still be uneasy suggesting that Postgres would do
it on the hardware most people would send it's way.

Don't take this as a disparaging thought about ODBC, just wanting to
bring some reality back to the questions.

> > > - not provide that much of an help : how well is unixodbc (and its
> > >   database drivers) packaged in the most widespread distros
> > >   (Debian, RH/Fedora, Suse, MDK...) ?
> > >
> > > Could the people familiar with unixODBC share their views on these
> > > topics ?
> > >

> =====
> Chris Albertson
>   Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
>   Cell:   310-990-7550
>   Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson at aero.org
>   KG6OMK

Could you use the proper two dashes and a space for your sig delimiter.
It makes it so that most decent mail apps will automatically strip it
and anything after it during a reply. Not to mention it is a standard.