[Asterisk-Dev] Current database abstraction effort ?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 17:28:45 MST 2004

--- Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com> wrote:
<snip>

> > The performance cost is low.  Even on a larg PBX how many CDR
> > records per second are written?  My guess is that 100 per second
> > would be a LOT.  But 100/sec would not tax a reasonable PC running
> > ODBC
>
> I think you need to examine normal installs and performance here.
> While
> the ODBC portion may not have a problem moving 100 records a second,
> quite a few DBs have problems when you do that kind of insert load on
> them. Specifically I would never bet the farm on MySQL holding up to
> that. I would probably still be uneasy suggesting that Postgres would
> do
> it on the hardware most people would send it's way.
>
> Don't take this as a disparaging thought about ODBC, just wanting to
> bring some reality back to the questions.

My point was, and maybe you are agreeing, is that ODBC adds
very little to the cost of a CDR write.  Any bottle
neck will be with the DBMS itself not with ODBC.

ODBC can target data stores other than DBMSes.  It can write
to plain ASCII text files, Barkley "DB", XML files and anything
else someone wants to write a driver for.
So using ODBC does not imply that you are writting to a database
it can be used to write to a text file although at likely higher
cost then a simple fprintf().

That rate of a susstained 100 records/sec is _very_ high.
I doubt any Asterisk system could come close to that.

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Cell:   310-990-7550