[Asterisk-Dev] Current database abstraction effort ?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 11:18:25 MST 2004

> > However, I'm wondering whether adding unixodbc requirement to do
> > database handling may :
> > - make building asterisk harder (more packages to get)

Anything you add makes it harder to build.  But you can do things
like keep a "good" version of ODBC at the asterisk.org site so
users don't have to go hunting..

Using ODBC can actually make Asterisk __easyer__ to configure as
__all__ CDR logging could go through it.  Weather you are logging
to a text file, MySQL, or Oracle the same library and config file
is used.  Less to maintain and test.

> > - make it more prone to various lib incompatibilites (is unixodbc
> >   compatible between versions ?)
> > - add some unnecessary complexity, and/or have significant a
> >   performance cost.

The performance cost is low.  Even on a larg PBX how many CDR
records per second are written?  My guess is that 100 per second
would be a LOT.  But 100/sec would not tax a reasonable PC running
ODBC

> > - not provide that much of an help : how well is unixodbc (and its
> >   database drivers) packaged in the most widespread distros
> >   (Debian, RH/Fedora, Suse, MDK...) ?
> >
> > Could the people familiar with unixODBC share their views on these
> > topics ?

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com